The inception of BLDE Association in 1910 dawned a golden era of revolution and new awakening in Education Field. It was due to the farsighted vision of eminent lovers of knowledge such as Dr. P.G. Halakatti and Poojya Basava Swamiji of Banthanal and others. Their philanthropic mission was to propagate education in this educationally and economically backward region. The phenomenal growth and development of the Association took place under the dynamic leadership of Late Shri B.M. Patil. Presently, the association has witnessed academic excellence by the dedication of Shri M.B. Patil, the President of Association. Today, the Association runs 70 educational institutions in all genres of education from Primary Level to P G Courses and it embraces Professional and Technical Colleges such as Medical, Engineering and Pharmacy etc. It has also 1500 bedded hospital and Research Center in Medical Science and Humanities. The Association has also built a Multi – Superspeciality hospital. It will be opened to the public service shortly. To Crown its glory, the Association has obtained the status of ‘BLDE University’.
At present more than 25, 512 students have been studying in various disciplines with 2200 teaching and 1660 administrative staff. BLDE institutions in their vast expansion and dissemination of knowledge stand testimony of excellence in education and social service.
It is Pre-Independence College established in 1945. It is also a flag-ship of BLDE Association with 70years of long standing academic excellence. The Arts discipline is named after its founder Poojya Shivayogi Sangan Basava Swamiji and Science is named after its donor Shri Kanal Channanagouda Patil. It is honour and historic feat to note that the foundation stones of the college were laid by Bharat Ratna and Nobel Laureate C.V Raman. The College has been visited by eminent personalities like General Kariyappa,Dr.V.K.Gokak, Dr.D.C.Pavate, Lt.General Halagali, Shri S.R Hiremath, Social Activist and Vice- Chancellors of various Universities.
It is permanently affiliated to Rani Channamma University, Belgavi. The College offers UG Courses in BA,BSc,BCA and PG Courses in Computer Science, English and Chemistry. It has 54 permanent teachers with 17 Ph.D’s and 11 M.Phil holders and the faculty members have published more than 92 Research articles in National and International journals. The members have also completed UGC Sponsored 14 MRPs in the last five years. In addition,01 Major Research Project, 12 MRPs are in progress.
The college stands on a wide expanse of 54 acres of land with well equipped spacious labs,classrooms, internet with Wi-Fi facility , Health Center and out – door sports facilities. Thus, the college encourages holistic development of students.